Friday, November 10, 2006

Eragon

I hate Harry Potter.

I have read Fantasy books since I was 11 and feel that if I am not an expert, than I am a connoisseur. I have always thought that Fantasy books are an easy hit with young people, but these Harry Potter books are pabulum. There are hundreds of books that should appeal to kids and are better written. The latest example of this I ran into was The Inheritance Trilogy by Christopher Paolini. This was written by a teen and despite his youth, his abilities crush that of J.K. Rowling. They both found hits with their first attempts but despite having over 10 years on him, Paolini’s novel deals with more sophisticated issues and comes across much less childish. A great example of this is with the spells. Rowling uses the lamest of puns, while Paolini uses his own derivative of Latin. Eragon has greater action, moves quicker and, in general, has more sophisticated language, although nothing that grade school kids shouldn’t be able to follow.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home